Create Turnitin assignment
Turnitin assignments are created within Blackboard Learn, but are independent from Blackboard's assignment tool. If you have created a Blackboard assignment, that already has student submissions, follow instructions for submitting to Turnitin on behalf of a student.
- Go to the folder, learning module or content area where you would like for the Turnitin assignment to appear to students, hover over Assessments, and select Turnitin Direct Assignment.
- Enter an Assignment Name and if you wish, an Assignment Description. Use the description field to provide student instructions. You have a 2000 character limit.
- To avoid losing student formatting, choose File Upload for Submission Type.
- If you will be grading multiple sections of the assignment, as in a draft and a final submission, select the appropriate number of assignment parts, otherwise leave the number of parts as 1. You will have the option to adjust the dates and grade points for each part.
- Select the Start Date, Due Date, and Post Date for the assignment. Students are only able to submit once the "start date" and time has passed. After the "due date" and time, students will be blocked unless late submissions are enabled. The post date relates to the availability of GradeMark papers only and has no bearing on when grades are posted to the Grade Center.
Note: Turnitin is not integrated with the Blackboard Calendar. If you would like Turnitin assignment dates to appear for students in the calendar, you will need to create manual events.
- Set the remaining assignment options. Follow setting suggestions for using Turnitin for plagiarism detection or as a teaching tool. You can also view the complete description of assignment options.
- Click Create Assignment.
- Provide students instructions for submitting Turnitin assignments and interpreting originality reports (if students will be viewing originality reports).
Information about submitting Turnitin and SafeAssign assignments from the student perspective can be found on the Submitting Turnitin Assignments in Blackboard Learn and Submitting SafeAssign Assignments in Blackboard Learn Student Orientation and Resource pages. Please share these resources with your students.