During the coming months UMassOnline will engage with colleagues in a formal process in which an “internal” review is conducted that is designed to produce a constellation of documents that describe how UMassOnline currently operates, what we aspire to become, and how we are going to bridge the gap. After appropriate vetting, the resulting resources will be made available for University-wide consideration. The internal review will take advantage of the expertise that exists within the UMassOnline community, with insights from the University of Massachusetts Academic Advisory Council (AAC), which includes the Campus Provosts, other colleagues, a select group of thought leaders in specific parts of the sector which will include international leaders. These groups will help by providing insights into the process and thoughtful input on the artifacts that are created. The materials created and the process that is followed will help provide direction and stability as we rethink UMassOnline and prepare for a change in University administration.
As part of the Review process, the UMassOnline team is building documentation about our history, services we provide, and how we currently operate. In addition, we are also building documents that describe a vision of what UMassOnline might offer and how it might function in the future. Taken together, after review and critique, the documents will describe our current organizational capacity, provide a vision to aspire to that will guide investment, the creation of outcome metrics, and measurement techniques supporting continuous improvement.
The process is intended to invite participation throughout our community, and to continue on as part of UMassOnline's regular operating procedures well beyond the final Review report is submitted. The final Review report will be prepared and submitted to Marcellette Williams, Senior Vice President of Academic Student and International Affairs at an appropriate time during 2011. The first interim report was presented to the Academic Advisory Council on November 17, 2010 and the UMassOnline Continuing Education Council on November 19th, at which time we committed to making the Review documents available for review and comment in electronic format. To facilitate the process, we will routinely take "snapshots" every few weeks of the Review Document, which will be updated continuously and dynamically. The Review Snapshots will be available for comment, with feedback recorded and considered for inclusion in the Review.
Although much of the Review site is open for general viewing, the Snapshots will have restricted access. The Snapshots and other documents will be rolled out in the table below. At first, access will be provided to internal stakeholder audiences, which will initially include members of the UMassOnline team, the Academic Advisory Council, and the UMassOnline Continuing Education Council. Individuals with access will be able automatically request access for additional participants, allowing the community to grow. A request to add an additional participant can be made by clicking the link on a page and completing a request form. After the individual is provided access to the page, their name will appear on a list of individuals who are participants. Restricted pages will include a list of accounts that have access.
UMassOnline Review Documents
Review Snapshots, Briefs, & Miscellaneous Documents
Title of Document
Date Made Available
Posted on 11/23/10
This document was distributed to the Academic Advisory Council in hard copy on November 17th and to the UMassOnline Continuing Education Council on November 19th.
Posted on 1/28/11 for Public Review and Comment
Posted on 9/9/11
This document was distributed to the President's Council for the 9/26/11 meeting.
How to Participate
A comment is a remark, question, or any other additional information you wish to add to a page. Comments are a means by which a community of users can interact with each other on the site. You can leave a comment on any page in the UMassOnline Review space.
- Click the 'Add Comment' link near the bottom of the page.
- The comments box opens up. Type in your text.
- Click the 'Preview' tab to see a preview of your comment.
- You can tick the box next to 'Watch this page' to receive email alerts whenever the page is commented on or edited in the future.
- Click the 'Post' button to save your comment and display it on the page.
- Click the 'Reply' link located below the text of a comment.
- This will open up a new comment box. Type in your text.
- You can tick the box next to 'Watch this page' to receive email alerts whenever the page is commented or edited.
- Click 'Post'
When you watch a page, Confluence will send you an email notification whenever someone updates the content on that page, adds an attachment to that page, or makes a comment to that page.
- Find and mouse over the 'Tools' link located in the upper-right hand corner the page your interested in.
- A menu of options will appear.
- Scroll down to the menu item labeled 'Watch' and click.
- The 'Watch' link will update to read 'Stop watching'
- You will now be notified if any Confluence user updates the page.
When you watch a space, Confluence will send you an email notification whenever someone updates the content of any page, adds an attachments or makes a comment to any page in the space.
- Find and mouse over the 'Browse' link located in the upper-right hand corner of any page.
- A menu of options will appear.
- Scroll down to the menu item labeled 'Advanced' and click.
- Your browser will update to the 'View Space Details' page.
- Locate and mouse over to the 'Start watching this space' link located in the left-hand side-panel, and click.
- The 'Start watching this space' link in the left-hand side-panel will update to read 'Stop watching this space'
- You will now be notified when anyone updates any page in the 'UmassOnline Review' space.
From time to time, the topics under review and discussion might benefit from the insights of others. You can add others to the discussion by requesting a user account for them.
- Hover over your name located at the top of this page, and select 'Profile'
- On the left hand side of the screen, click on 'Password'.
- Enter your current password, new password and confirm your new password.
- Click 'Save'. Your password has now been changed.
To request technical assistance for Confluence, please email the administrator.