Highlights of New Features & Enhancements - Teaching & Learning
- Calendar - Calendar is significantly enhanced in Blackboard Learn. It allows instructors and students to view institution level, course and personal events in a single calendar view. This was first released as a standalone Building Block and has been bundled and enabled in this release.
- Retention Center - The Retention Center is an instructor-only tool that enables instructors to give focused attention to students who need it. It replaces the Early Warning System feature with easy workflows, while retaining all existing Early Warning System data and rules. This was first released as a standalone Building Block and has been bundled and enabled in this release.
- Discussions - The Discussion Board user interface has been updated in two primary ways: the thread detail page has been thoroughly redesigned while maintaining all of its current functionality and instructors can now require students to first post to a forum before they can see other students’ posts. This was first released as a standalone Building Block and has been bundled and enabled in this release.
- Inline Assignment Grading - Inline Assignment Grading is a revision to the workflow for grading Assignments in Blackboard Learn. Instead of requiring instructors to download student-submitted files to view or edit those submissions, instructors will now be able to view student-submitted files “inline,” i.e. in the web browser, without requiring any plugins, applets, or client-side applications. Additionally, annotation tools will be made available as part of the inline viewer, enabling instructors to provide feedback including comments, highlights, and even drawings/annotations directly on the inline view of the document. This was first released as a standalone Building Block and has been bundled and enabled in this release.
- Tests and Surveys - The core capabilities of Tests and Surveys in Blackboard Learn are robust, but this release provides additional enhancements and improved workflows. The updates include group and user deployment exceptions, granular feedback control for Tests, improved handling of late submissions and more.
The Quick Links tool will help significantly improve the navigation experience for sighted, keyboard-only users. This tool can be quickly accessed on any page using a link at the very top of the page or a keyboard shortcut (Control+Alt+L). It will aggregate a list of all of the landmarks and headings on a page and allow a user to select one and jump directly to that location within the page. It will also collect and highlight any keyboard shortcuts that exist for the current page or tool, providing another method for quickly completing key tasks within the application.
Content Editor - WIRIS Updates:
Availability of Features
If you enable avatars, users can upload an image from their computer or select an image from the institution’s library. Blackboard Learn displays avatars in course Rosters, Discussion Boards, Blogs, Wikis, and Journals. Avatars also display within Notification Modules such as What's New, Needs Attention, To Do, and Alerts.
System Admin > Tools and Utilities > Avatars
System-wide (ALL campuses)
The Calendar Building Block replaces the "My Calendar" module.
How to Access the Calendar
Upgrade, all or nothing. Can turn off?
Enterprise Surveys & Course Evaluations
Trying to figure out if we can give campus specific access.
Inline Assignment Grading
Instructors can view student-submitted files “inline,” i.e. in the web browser, without requiring any plug-ins, applets, or client-side applications. Additionally, annotations tools are available as part of the inline viewer, enabling Instructors to provide feedback – comments, highlights, and even drawing/annotation – directly on the inline view of the document.
We disable spaces and messages per role.
Available at Node level
We can turn off the retention center, but instructors will see the retention center in their My Blackboard.
Facebook Twitter on or off site wide.
- Released by Blackboard: April 24, 2013
- Installed in DEV: May 13, 2012
- Installed in TEST: May 17, 2013
- Installed in PROD: August 17-18, 2013
- CP8 Installed in PROD: 9/11/13
Cumulative Patches (CP)
- SP12, CP1
- SP12, CP2
- SP12, CP3
- SP12, CP4
- SP12, CP5
- SP12, CP6
- SP12, CP7 - was not released; these fixes will be in installed with the installation of Cumulative Patch 8.
- SP12, CP8
- SP12, CP9
- SP12, CP10
- SP12 Communication & Adoption Toolkit
- SP12 Features and Functions No Longer Supported
- SP12 Known and Resolved Issues (Behind the Blackboard Sign in required)
- SP12 Known Issues (spreadsheet)
- SP12 Release Notes
- SP12 Testing Plan
- No labels