Wimba Classroom is the virtual classroom component of the Wimba Collaboration Suite. Wimba Classroom is currently being phased out but available through January 2015. Blackboard Collaborate is the new web conferencing solution for UMassOnline and its campuses.
Wimba Classroom is commonly referred to as "Wimba" or "Live Classroom".
UMassOnline has been using Wimba Classroom since June 2006 as the result of winning the bid for Synchronous Online Collaboration System (SOCS) request for proposal. In 2010, Wimba Classroom was awarded the bid for
- tbd: Wimba Classroom 6.2.3 Upgrade
- 07.15.12: Wimba Classroom 6.2 Upgrade
- 12.17.11: Wimba Classroom 6.1.6 Upgrade
- 08.25.11: Wimba Classroom 6.1.4 Upgrade
- 10.17.10: Wimba Classroom 6.1.3 Upgrade
- 08.18.10: Wimba Classroom 6.1 Upgrade
User of Wimba Classroom are encouraged to participate in the Wimba Classroom SIG.
Campus subscribers (access w/logins)
- UMass Amherst
- UMass Amherst OIT (Day)
- UMass Boston
- UMass Dartmouth
- UMass Lowell
- UMass Office of the President
- UMass Worcester
Please see the Wimba Classroom Dedicated Servers page for specifics pertaining to the managed hosting Wimba Classroom servers.
Licensing and Contracting
Any University of Massachusetts campus may use the Wimba Classroom system. Please contact Licensing at UMassOnline for additional information.
Please create a support ticket to receive additional information on any of the services below.
Within the branding frame of Wimba Classroom, we can apply a 135px x 145px branding graphic to include your institution's logo, support information, etc. Read more on branding for Wimba Classroom.
UMassOnline uses Blackboard to host our Wimba Classroom environment. While Wimba Classroom is primarily used as an integrated third-party tool within the eLearning platform, Wimba Classroom is also used as a standalone, web conferencing solution. Read more about the non-LMS integrated Wimba Classroom environments and its dedicated servers.
Wimba Classroom is integrated with Blackboard Vista. Please see our PowerLinks page for additional information on this integration.
UMassOnline provides technical support documentation directly from the vendor. When there is a server-related issue, UMassOnline works with the vendor to resolve the issue.
Tier 1 Technical Support, provided by Blackboard Collaborate, is included as part of our services and can be added for no additional cost.
UMassOnline provides feature reviews as well as functionality training for Wimba Classroom.
- Release Notes: Wimba Classroom 6.1.4
- Powerlinks: UMOL utilizes the Wimba Powerlink to integrate Wimba's Classroom and Voice Tools into Bb Vista
- Bb Collaboration Hosting Operations Guide: Bb Collaborate utilizes SunGard as their data center provider for all North American hosted clients. They chose SunGard because it is a world class facility which offers our clients high availability, multiple redundancies and around the clock system monitoring. SunGard's Operations Guide\ covers all services that are provided.
- June 2011: Wimba/Elluminate/Blackboard Collaborate Newsletter
Senior Implementation Consultant
Review training, implementations, check-ins
Sales Operations Specialist
Contract and license renewals
Hosting Services Manager
Provides support for future migration
Client Success Manager
Regional Sales Executive